Tuesday, March 19, 2013

NEW ZEALAND - DAY 2

March 19
Today has been two days long.  Actually, we crossed the International Date Line, but even so it has FELT like 2 days.

We arrived at Auckland at about 8:30.  I declared food in my backpack, which I think caused an alert to go to the dog sniffers. The dog found our apples and Virgil's beef stick.  He was such a cute little guy.  He was really excited about finding those apples.

Again, wheel chair and cart to the baggage claim.  The flight attendant who had been so helpful was at the baggage carousel picking up his own luggage, but he stayed to make sure we had all ours.  He loaded it onto a cart - in New Zealand you don't have to pay for those luggage carts.  He even called the rental car agency to make arrangements for us to be picked up to go to the rental car place.  The lady who was pushing V's wheel chair took us through customs (front of the line), and to the outside of the ariport then left. The flight attendant was still with us.  We told him we would be fine to wait for the rental car company, but he said "no worries" and waited with us. He even called them back after about 20 minutes to see why they had not arrived.  Virgil tried to give him a few dollars tip but he refused.  He said "it's what I do".  He had explained to me earlier that tipping is not customary in New Zealand and he hates that part about LA.  He said in NZ, it's all part of the job.  He, however, went waaaay beyond what would be required of any job and we appreciated him very much.

We got to the rental car place, made all our arrangements and began to take our baggage to the car.  A gentleman (another customer) came to the car and loaded our suitcases into the car.  Now wasn't that nice!! As we went to get in the car, I laughed at Virgil and asked if he was planning on driving. H actually was getting in on the correct side.  I had forgotten that the steering wheel was on the right instead of left.  Of course he grunted and made a disparaging remark about how he knew and I didn't.   :)

Driving in New Zealand is an experience in itself!  It is very hard to look to the left to see in the rear-view mirror.  The turn signal and windshield wipers are on the oppposite side as in US so I turned on the windshield wipers  - a LOT.  I missed the first turn out of a round-about because I was too nervous to turn in the left lane.  So, we went down the road, turned around and came back.  (grunting from the passenger seat)  That time it was easier.

So, what I had thought was to be a 2 hour drive from Auckland to Paihia (pie-he-a) turned into 4.5 hours.  But we arrived safely at the Arungi Tui Motel somewhere around 2:30. The room is very nice - 2 bedrooms, kitchenette, and sitting room.  It is actually like a small apartment.  Makes me wish we had someone to share it.




Actual Phone Booth








Virgil went to bed and I went walking.  I found the  Paihia Dive shop and made my arrangements for tomorrow's dive.  I chose a deep wreck dive and a shallow reef dive .Tanya sent me home with a PADI "Adventures in Diving" manual so I could read about deep diving. Then walked back to the Tui to find Virgil still lying down.  I got my camera and walked back down to the shore and shops.  My camera screen was broken during the trip.  Bummer.  I saw many things I would like to do there, but ...  While walking around I heard some yelling and went to see what it was about.  It was a group of 5 New Zealanders putting on a show.  Two ladies in front  yelling so hard the veins in their necks were protruding way out.  After a couple of "numbers" they announced the name of the group and invited those in attendance to "show love" by contributing to the lonely, empty bag. It was a small red back-pack. It was acutally quite a show!!

Back at the room, Virgil was awake so we discussed supper possibilities.  I walked back to the shops and picked up some fish (Dory) and chips from a sidewalk cafe and brought them back to the room.

I missed my walking buddy today.  Marissa and I would have certainly enjoyed the time together as well as the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers